New offerings at Warwick Psychology
Mindfulness Based Yoga Therapy – Mondays 6 – 7 pm (from Monday 6 July )Beginners / Level 1 class. No flexibility needed 10 pass $120 Drop in $15
Mindfulness and Meditation – Mondays 7.15 – 8pm (from Monday 6 July) drop in – suggested $10 donation.
Positive Psychology Coaching – Free Trial : 1hr session (last Saturday of every month – max 4 appointments) (from 27 June)
Energy healing / Reiki – Saturday appointments $70 1hr (from 27 June)
Mindfulness Based Yoga Therapy
Mindfulness based yoga therapy combines a unique healing combination of breath, movement, Yoga philosophy, dialogue, along with a sequenced flow and meditation. The focus is not exclusively on the Yoga postures and the class will be tailored to the group or to the individual. Yoga involves gentle spinal movements that activate the body’s energy and can easily release a person’s physical tension and pain, which then in turn can help release stored emotions.
Mindfulness is a large part of Yoga Therapy as it incorporates awareness of the body’s functions and feelings. Mindfulness helps individuals understand their own thought processes.
Mindful awareness is about being in tune with how one feels and having an awareness of what is going on inside one’s body. With Yoga, meditation and practice we can learn to trust and understand the messages given by our own body. Studies have shown that Mindful Yoga and meditation can affect the cerebral cortex, improving focus and awareness. The cerebral cortex is the centre of the brain that is responsible for impulses, irrational thoughts and behaviours.
The practice of Yoga addresses human suffering and it does it in our most immediate and accessible environment – the body.
Benefits of Mindfulness Based Yoga Therapy include:
- Integration of physical and mental health
- Acceptance of one’s self and body
- Enhanced ability to make healthy choices
- Increased self-esteem
- Connection to self and others
- Vitality and engagement in life
- to regain a sense of comfort and ease,
- to non-verbally process feelings that transcend language, and
- to experientially cultivate a friendly relationship with the body, serving as a reminder of their innate resilience.
Mindfulness Based Yoga Therapy is an integrative therapy suited to clients wishing to improve:
- Distress tolerance – staying with a challenging experience without
- Mindful noticing – noticing our physical sensations, emotions and
thoughts, with an attitude of compassion & acceptance.
- Emotional regulation – the opportunity to manage changing mood states, by using opportunities to self regulate and self soothe.